The Cyprus Rectors’ Conference held an urgent online meeting on Thursday, 19.03.2020, which resulted in the following unanimous Resolution:
- The Rectors’ Conference welcomes the full compliance of the Higher Education Institutions with all emergency measures decided upon and stipulated by the Republic of Cyprus in order to address the dangers posed by the coronavirus pandemic to society and the economy.
- It is the unwavering intention of the Universities to complete, without delay, the current spring semester 2020, in accordance with each University’s academic calendar 2019-2020, as announced to students at the beginning of the academic year. The Universities, through the Rectors' Conference, reassure their students once more, that their academic path and professional trajectory, along with ensuring their health and safety, are their highest priority.
- At the same time, the Universities have responded to the need to continue reliably providing high quality undergraduate and postgraduate Higher Education, by adopting and implementing the distance learning mode of delivery for each Programme of Study, utilizing online and digital tools and techniques. The high quality of education offered by universities in Cyprus continues to be assured, with the active support and constructive contribution of the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education (CYQAA).
- The investments the Universities have made in recent years in their digital infrastructures and in developing new innovative technologies, as well as in cultivating the requisite know-how among their academic and administrative staff, ensure they have the capability to continue their educational mission, while also supporting and empowering social and economic activity at this difficult time for our country.
- The Universities place at the disposal of the Republic of Cyprus, beyond maintaining their operational capacity, all available human (teaching and research faculty, as well as technical and administrative staff), intangible and material resources, in support of any further measures that may be taken to reduce the impact of the pandemic on the people in Cyprus and abroad.
FOR THE UNIVERSITIES (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER):
- Christofides Tasos, University of Cyprus, Rector
- Demosthenous George, Frederick University, Rector
- Gouliamos Kostas, European University, Rector
- Katsikas Sokratis, Open University of Cyprus, Rector
- Poutziouris Panikkos, UCLAN, Rector (Secretary of the Rectors’ Conference)
- Pouyioutas Philippos, University of Nicosia, Rector
- Sklias Pantelis, Neapolis University Pafos, Rector (President of the Rectors’ Conference)
- Zaphiris Panayiotis, Cyprus University of Technology, Rector (Vice-President of the Rectors’ Conference)